Monday, October 20, 2014

Pictures on Canvas

I have found a new project that I love! I have always wanted to have pictures on canvas but could never justify the cost. So of course I went on pinterest and started looking for ideas. I found a variety of different options and below is what I ended up putting together. I think they turned out great! I am looking forward to making more for Christmas presents ;)



 Step 1: Choose your Canvas


I mostly have used 8x10, but I also have used 11x14. The best place I have found so far to get them is Hobby Lobby. the 8x10 pack was only $3.99 for 2 of them! 

Step 2: Choose your picture and trim it down to size. 
I found with the canvases that I got I had to trim my 8x10 image just a 1/4 inch or so. 


Step 3: Paint the edges of your canvas
I painted the edges, and then realized after finishing my first one that I need to paint not just the edge but about a 1/2 inch or so on the top and around back of the canvas. By painting into and around the back it makes for a much smoother look to your finished product. 






Step 4: Mod Podge 
I love Mod Podge! Grab your foam brush and get ready to apply your picture! 

 
- Apply a thin layer on your canvas and on the back of your print.
- Line up the picture onto of the canvas.
- Flip the canvas over to apply pressure (make sure you have a clean surface) to press down to picture so you don't get your finger prints on it.




- Once your picture it applied, add another layer of mod podge on the top of your picture. I did about 2-3 layers on mine. Make sure you let each layer dry for the most part before you add another layer. Apply the mod podge in different directions to make it smooth and canvas like.






Step 5: Let it Dry! 
You can use a hair dryer if you want to help speed up the process. Just make sure to have it on low so you don't blow the glue around.




So easy and so much fun! 











1 comment :

  1. Such an awesome idea Jenny! I want to do this with our family pictures each year instead of just having this years on display and hiding the previous years in the frame. :) Thanks for sharing! I will need to do this!

    ReplyDelete